Sometimes we want to make art in our art journals, but ideas just don’t come to us! The thing is, in reality, ideas are limitless, but that can be hard to believe when you’re blocked. Which is why I came up with this list of 57 art journal prompts.
Be sure to bookmark this page to come back for more art journal inspiration. And look below this list of art journal prompts to see some of the ideas in my own art journal!
57 Art Journal Prompts:
- Collage a self portrait.
- Something you’re grateful for
- The color green
- Someone you love
- Your favorite beverage
- Something that makes you laugh
- A happy memory from your childhood
- Your favorite animal
- The color blue
- Fill a page with blind contour drawings
- A favorite quote
- Cloudy days
- In the garden
- Tell a story with images only
- Use only colored pencils to fill a page
- Re-use old artwork in a new way in your art journal
- The Moon
- The color yellow
- Your favorite objects
- A drawing of you when you were six
- Shapes on shapes on shapes
- Your favorite color
- How your favorite song makes you feel
- Write a love note to your 10 year old self, cut it into heart shapes and glue them into your journal. Add paint/pen/etc., too, if you’d like!
- Black & white
- Create a pattern
- Draw all the shoes you own
- A small abstract painting
- Drawings of your favorite art supplies
- Paint using only coffee or tea
- Kitchen Utensils
- The color red
- Party supplies
- Keep it simple: use only 2-3 things (like a black pen, a collage element, and washi tape)
- Woodland creatures
- Illustrate a poem
- Your favorite artist
- Vintage maps (if you don;t have any, draw some!)
- Combine art and words
- A secret dream
- Birds dressed like people
- Draw over an old photo
Please feel free to share any/all of these examples on Pinterest!
HEY… ONE MORE THING BEFORE YOU GO! 🙋♀️ IF YOU ENJOYED THIS POST, WOULD YOU MIND SHARING THE LOVE? YOU CAN…
- Save any (and/or all) image(s) from this post on Pinterest (and please follow me on Pinterest)
- Subscribe to my email newsletter
- Follow me on Instagram
- Talk about this page (and/or my blog in general) with a link on your blog.
Thanks my creative friend!
I came here for sketchbook prompts, but got something better. But for those like me (that cant art journal for crap T~T) Most of these can also be sketchbook prompts. Happy Sketching <33